Friday, January 25, 2013

Passion for saving lives and...furniture!

I used to think no one could be as passionate about a job/career as an individual in the medical field. Having worked in the medical device space for nearly six (!) years, and for two companies that create life-saving products, I've been impressed so many times by the dedication, passion, and intelligence of the individuals I've been fortunate enough to call my colleagues. Some decisions really do come down to life or death, so to carry that burden, these people have to really care about what they do.

However, one Sunday morning, I discovered (with the help of Charles Osgood) a company based in North Carolina led by two individuals who bring the passion of the medical field (and many other fields to be fair) to the world of FURNITURE! Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams, founders of the company that shares their names, were being interviewed on CBS Sunday Morning, and I fell in love with their story, their mission, their furniture, and of course, their dog, Lulu. They make all their furniture in North Carolina, emphasize comfort, style, and quality in their products, treat family pets like true members of the family, and believe in treating their employees like the company's most valuable asset (through services like an education-based daycare, a subsidized cafe with healthy food options, and computer labs for employees to use during breaks). I want to work for them!

Naturally, when it came to investing in some furniture for our house, I knew exactly what I wanted! We had to run an "errand" to Chicago to visit one of their stores, and we had to shop during the semi-annual clearance sale, but we ended up with the Reese sofa and chair (same ones Bob has in his living room, I might add), and we didn't pay any sales tax since there are no stores in Indiana (woohoo!).


If you're interested in their products, the company, or want to learn more about their decorating philosophy, I recommend both their books: The Comfortable Home and Let's Get Comfortable. The store gave us a copy of LGC and I found TCH on Amazon (I actually bought a used version that was signed by Mitchell!) for ~$15.


1 comment: